Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Two down; Sixty-two to go!

I ran four miles at a slowish pace todayten minutes and 11 seconds perbut given that I managed to stay upright for every step this time, I'm counting today's run as a win. Though a definite loser emerged from the playlist.

To keep my mind occupied as I do these training runs, I'm quite literally running through all of the 135 songs I've put on my marathon playlist since the beginning of the year. A semi-final round, of sorts.

Today, Billy Joel's "It's Still Rock 'N Roll to Me" got green lighted, but "The Longest Time" gets the boot. I may be a big believer in creating a mix that includes the break of a few slow songs that buoy me, but doo wop a capella was doing nothing for the speed of my feet today. Sorry, snap-happy Billy. You are today's weakest beat.

Catherine Elcik is running her first marathon to raise money for a scholarship fund for Grub Street, Inc, and independent writing center in Boston, MA. Sponsor the run at www.firstgiving.com/runforgrub.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you running a marathon. Sarah's run seven and finds them very rewarding. I have run none and find it likely to stay that way.

    And as sad as I am to see a Billy Joel tune axed, I suppose one had to go. I look forward to hearing the rest of your musical battles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for being the first to post to the blog! Musical battles are going to be a big theme, so keep watching. Sometimes I think I run just to listen to peppy songs and laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete