Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Running Haiku: A Poetic War Cry

Yesterday's realization that marathon training may not inspire the last twenty pounds I'm trying to lose to beat a fearful retreat inspired me to declare war...through what I hope is sufficiently bellicose haiku.*

HAIKU, THE FIRST
Stubborn belly fat,
you clinging (but shrunken) rolls,
oh, how you mock me!
HAIKU, THE SECOND
(Un)dearest fat cells:
You're no longer welcome here!
Flee my gut at once!
HAIKU, THE THIRD
Fat, you've been sentenced:
Death by interval training!
Hill's? Sprints? You're soooo dead.

HAIKU, THE FOURTH
Three miles today, fat.
Up and down the same damn hill
Didn't I warn you?

HAIKU, THE FIFTH
The fat laughs last, though.
Legs are rubbery puddles.
Hill work is no joke.

*It's worth noting that these
"poems" are best enjoyed in the spirit of the worst of the beat poetry from So I Married an Axe Murderer:



Catherine Elcik is running her first marathon to raise money for a scholarship fund for Grub Street, Inc, and independent writing center in Boston, MA. Sponsor the run at www.firstgiving.com/runforgrub.

1 comment: